The Canadian Government recently announced that to be eligible for Canada Summer Jobs funding, “the core mandate of the organization must respect individual human rights in Canada, including the values underlying the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms (Charter) as well as other rights. These include reproductive rights and the right to be free from discrimination on the basis of sex, religion, race, national or ethnic origin, colour, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.”
Governments have a responsibility to uphold our Charter Rights. The provision of government funding to organizations that exist to limit the rights of women and LGBT provides these organizations the stability they need to expand their challenge to these rights.
Alberta Government Ministries are currently funding anti-abortion organizations, as follows:
- Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission (reporting to Treasury Board): Bingo and (pending) casino licence for Lethbridge and District Birthright Society ($16K+ annual for bingo and possibly over $60K for casino).
- Community and Social Services: Central Alberta Pregnancy Care Centre ($72K+ annual) – The second highest provincial support for an anti-abortion group in the entire country!
- Provincial/Municipal FCSS funding: Total unknown (Medicine Hat, Mountainview, Greenview and Cremona have all funded anti-abortion groups with FCSS). Anti-abortion groups should be ineligible under the FCSS Program Handbook section 2.1(1), as these organizations do not have prevention programs, and they oppose abortion and common pregnancy prevention methods such as the pill, IUD, and emergency contraception.
- Alberta Labour: Summer Temp Employment, CA Job Grants Training ($21K, 2016-17).
- Alberta Culture: Current amounts unknown ($128K, 2010-14) Historical grants may be searched here: http://www.culturetourism.alberta.ca/about/grants/previous-grant-recipients-database/default.aspx
Furthermore, these activist charities are not reporting the funding as required to the Canada Revenue Agency on their T3010 Charity Information Returns.
Alberta Liquor and Gaming: Lethbridge & District Birthright Bingo Funds versus CRA T3010 Charity Information Returns:
Community and Social Services & FCSS Funding: Central Alberta Pregnancy Care Centre versus T3010 Charity Information Returns:
Canada- Alberta Job Grant: Central Alberta Pregnancy Care Centre and Lethbridge Pregnancy Care Centre versus T3010 Charity Information Returns:
Write your MLA and Government Ministers. Ask them to update policy to respect our Charter Rights (similar to the new Canada Summer Jobs policy):